Friday, July 17, 2009

Classic.

I've finished up my week at the New England Classic. I met some amazing folks, made some really good bike biz connections, and got to hang out with my pal Ryan. All in the name of diabetes (or against the name of diabetes, I guess...).

I got to do some serious geeking out. There were two other mechanics and 120 riders ready to talk about bikes. There were folks on carbon race bikes, recumbent trikes, flat bar Madones, one guy was riding an oooollllld Aegis with purple ano brakes, one guy rode with tubies... crazy stuff. Not that I needed it, but it was a great reminder of how much I love my occupation. Plus my buddy and fellow mechanic Eric found a couple of these in a shop along the route... That's going on the 1995 Kona Lava Dome.

Speaking of my occupation, one thing I found interesting in talking with people about my current life situation was how uncomfortable some folks were with the lack of immediate life plans. What are you going to do? Where are you going to work? What if you don't find a job? One woman in particular asked me how I could possibly not know what I'm going to be doing next month. When I told her that "I think if you believe that things will work out they always do", she asked me not to talk to her kids about it. Really. Nothing makes people squirm like saying "I'll figure it out" with a big smile on your face.

1 comment:

Shannon C. said...

TRUE. The world is full of control freaks, for better or worse.