Thursday, July 23, 2009

Em Dee Eye

Well, it's official. I've fallen back in love with Maine.

It's not hard to (in the summer), it's sooooo beautiful. This week I went to my mom's place on Mount Desert Island. Or Isle Mount Desert, if you prefer. I rode my bike into BaR HarboR. Unfortunately I don't have a granny gear, so McFarland hill was kind of a bummer. I'm proud to say I was able to adhere to the strict Team DFL policy- "don't crash, don't puke", which I think makes the ride a success. I walked around town, trying to avoid seeing anyone I went to school with, and grabbed a blueberry muffin at Jordan's (of course). I got a copy of The Islander newspaper, mostly because of the riveting front page headline: "Rangers Trap Lobsternapper". I wish I was making that up.

The article was about how park rangers stopped two guys who were spotted pulling a lobster out of a trap while they were kayaking. The rangers stopped them by setting up a road block at the only road that leads off the island. The article also mentioned that pot (Ahem... and I quote) "and not the kind you cook a lobster in..." was also found in the car. Oh, man. Again, I wish I was making that up.

This is were I grew up. In the land where 'lobsternapper' is a word. And where lobsternapping is reportable news. I love you, Maine.

I'm off to diabetes camp today! Which means the next post will probably smell like glucose tablets and bandaids...

2 comments:

Shannon C. said...

Been thinking about you a lot these days. Hope you're having a good time. The record temps for this week are in the hundreds.....from 2006....so I'm thinking of slumber party night and all of our chats as roomies that summer sitting on the front porch.

Greg Thib said...

Hi Em! I'm hoping you get this message....I've been following your blog, ah, I mean, web log, and it has been fun to read about your adventures. (You must be Jeff Thibodeau's daughter, am I right??) I have tried to post a comment, but we Luddites don't have much stamina when it comes to making computers do stuff.
It is so wonderful to have you closer, Em. You will have to come to BH when you can to see us. Your Mom and Jayne recently went to Myrtle Beach to see Nick...they had a good visit. Nick and Hilary will be here in mid-August some time.
Well, all for now.

Love, Your favorite uncle Greg

PS. Cedar, remember to turn around twice before lying down, and take your vitamins. (And tell your mom to do the same :)