Sunday, July 5, 2009

Grand Tetons

During the summer of 1993 my whole family- Mom, Dad, Emily, Becky, Ben and Abby loaded up in an RV and traveled around the country. Since I've become a grown-up(ish) I've had the chance to travel back to a bunch of the places I remembered from that trip: the Badlands, Yellowstone, the Redwoods, the Oregon coast... I remember visiting Grand Tetons NP, but I don't remember it being this amazing. If I may borrow a bit from "The Celestine Prophecy"... the energy is incredible. These amazing mountains just stick up out of nowhere. I learned it's because a fault line was created and one half sunk down (Jackson Hole) and the other half was pushed up (Teton range). Cool, huh?





The campgrounds here are full (it is a holiday weekend...), and Jackson Hole doesn't have a Wal Mart parking lot, so I'm staying in the fanciest Motel 6 I've ever seen. Really. It's actually nice... If I didn't know any better I'd think I was in a Best Western or something. I figured the motel staff would appreciate it if I didn't break out my camp stove in the parking lot, so I walked down town for dinner. If there's one thing I know in life it's that you can't go wrong with cart food. It's usually better than food from restaurants in real buildings, and it cheaper (that whole not having a building thing, I guess...). I didn't find any carts, but I did find a shack.

The Everest Momo Shack was friggin' delicious. I had dumplings and naan. The owner also gave me "the best coffee in Jackson Hole". It was 8pm, but who can pass up a free cup of coffee? And it was really good. When the guy asked for my name for the order he spelled it "Amily" with an accent over the A... Yep. I like this little town.

No comments: